175 Bradford Road
Bath And North East Somerset
View on map
22 Sep 2018
10am to 5pm Saturday 22nd September 2018
This event has now finished.
Just turn up Guided tours will start on the hour all day, last tour at 4pm.
The building is made up of two terraced houses joined together, and was formerly a grocers shop downstairs. One side is solid walled and Victorian, the other a cavity walled 1920s house.
Renovation began in 2016, as there were structural issues which needed addressing, an ancient boiler, largely outdated wiring, blown plaster and some rotten original single glazed windows. This has given the opportunity to add triple glazing, hempcrete internal wall insulation and hemplime plasters. The south facing shopfronts are being used for solar gain (heat from the sun) as a source of heating. An emphasis has been placed on using sustainable materials: hemp, wood and lime, which lock carbon into the building fabric, and retain the breathability of the solid stone walls.
Energy efficiency measures
- Hempcrete internal wall insulation
- Limecrete on recycled glass insulation replacing concrete floors
- Triple glazed timber windows (box sash and casement)
- Woodwool board instead of plasterboard
- Three types of lime and hemplime plasters
- Oak beams instead of concrete lintels and steels for some structural repairs
- Auro natural breathable paints
- LED high colour rendering lighting
- Second hand furniture and kitchen units
- Sunspace planned behind the shopfront to capture solar gain and insulate from road noise
- Underfloor insulation with wood based product
- Loft insulation with sheepswool
- Permaculture garden
Combe Down Green Doors leaflet (PDF, 2MB)